Editor’s observe: This Automobile Seat Test was written in August 2018 concerning the 2019 Mazda CX-3. Little of substance has modified with this 12 months’s mannequin. See what’s new for 2020 or see the fashions compared.
The decision: By nature, most tiny automobiles simply don’t have sufficient house to comfortably accommodate automobile seats. Some, just like the Chevrolet Bolt EV, break the mildew and do fairly effectively. Others, just like the Mazda CX-3, are the mildew. Inaccessible Latch anchors and an absence of rear legroom made it powerful to put in automobile seats in Mazda’s subcompact SUV.
Does it fit three car seats? No
Check out how the Latch system and every automobile seat scored under in our Automobile Seat Test of the 2020 Mazda CX-3.
Associated: Search Car Seat Checks
- Latch: Two units of anchors sit in slits within the upholstery. They’re deep and set excessive up in opposition to the seatback, so connection requires some finesse. The three high tether anchors sit on the bottom of the seatbacks; they’re clearly marked for straightforward connection.
- Ahead-facing convertible: This seat match effectively after we eliminated the pinnacle restraint, however connecting to the decrease Latch anchors was difficult.
- Booster: The booster additionally match effectively after eradicating the pinnacle restraint. The outboard buckles are recessed into the seat cushion, and the inboard buckle is floppy; each setups are tough for teenagers.
- Rear-facing convertible: Connection was a problem, and we needed to transfer the entrance passenger seat ahead considerably.
- Toddler: Once more, Latch connection wasn’t simple and there wasn’t sufficient legroom for this seat. We moved the entrance passenger seat as far ahead as it will go, and our 5-foot-6-inch-tall entrance passenger’s knees had been sideways in opposition to the sprint.
A: Loads of room for the automobile seat and the kid; doesn’t impression driver or entrance passenger legroom. Simple to seek out and connect with Latch and tether anchors. No match points involving head restraint or seat contouring. Easy accessibility to the third row.
B: One room, match or connection concern. Some issues accessing the third row when obtainable.
C: Marginal room plus one match or connection concern. Troublesome to entry the third row when obtainable.
D: Inadequate room, plus a number of match or connection points.
F: Doesn’t match or is unsafe.
About Vehicles.com’s Automobile Seat Checks
Editors Jennifer Geiger, Jennifer Newman and Matt Schmitz are licensed baby security seat set up technicians.
For the Automobile Seat Test, we use a Graco SnugRide Basic Join 30 infant-safety seat, a Britax Marathon convertible seat and Graco TurboBooster seat. The entrance seats are adjusted for a 6-foot driver and a shorter passenger. The three baby seats are put in within the second row. The booster seat sits behind the motive force’s seat, and the toddler and convertible seats are put in behind the entrance passenger seat.
We additionally set up the forward-facing convertible within the second row’s center seat with the booster and toddler seat within the outboard seats to see if three car seats will fit; a toddler sitting within the booster seat should be capable to attain the seat belt buckle. If there’s a 3rd row, we set up the booster seat and a forward-facing convertible. Be taught extra about how we conduct our Car Seat Checks.
Dad and mom must also keep in mind that they will use the Latch system or a seat belt to install a car seat, and that Latch anchors have a weight restrict of 65 kilos, together with the burden of the kid and the burden of the seat itself.
Vehicles.com’s Editorial division is your supply for automotive information and critiques. In keeping with Vehicles.com’s long-standing ethics coverage, editors and reviewers don’t settle for items or free journeys from automakers. The Editorial division is impartial of Vehicles.com’s promoting, gross sales and sponsored content material departments.